Saturday 7 May 2011

Working mama pros and cons

Investigating the printer - maybe he can
come to work with me?
 I've gone back to work, full time.


There... I've said it.


It actually happened three weeks ago but it's only now that I've been able to type about it and get a handle on my guilt, nerves, worries, tears, fears and all the other feelings that have been whirring around inside since April 18th. That's not to say that any of the aforementioned feelings have dissipated, far from it. So instead of going into detail I'm going to write sensible, emotion-free pros and con of returning to work list.

Here goes...





Pros
  • I appreciate much more the precious time Alex and I have together and it really is quality time now. I think I was taking it for granted a bit before
  • The look on Alex's face when I walk in the door after a day at work is amazing... I must get the camera out next time
  • Nanna B is doing a wonderful job as temporary nanny and Alex loves her even more than ever
  • I'm earning money for the first time in 13 months
  • Having a beautiful bubba at home gives you some excellent perspective - nothing at work is that bad or that important.
Cons
  • It breaks my heart to leave him in the morning
  • I have gone from spending all day long with Alex to about 2.5 hours
  • I hate commuting - especially the inevitable traffic which cuts into the precious time mentioned above
  • It's hard to be excited, inspired or enthusiastic about any job when really what you want to do is be at home playing with your little man
  • Childcare is a NIGHTMARE in this city, 12 month waiting lists with no guarantee of a place, crazy waiting list charges, expensive fees... I could go on...
  • I can't help thinking that in 20 years time I'll be regretting not having spend more time with my son, I won't be regretting not having worked in that ad agency in Sydney
People tell me it gets easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...